Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Who needs a stupid airplane . . . (8/2008)

8/13/2008
Here I am at Burbank airport – super tired because I went to bed after 1:30 and woke up at 5:10 to make it to the airport for my 7am flight. Through a slight series of frustrating and unfortunate events, I missed my flight. Missing my flight is not the end of the world but I was upset because I thought there was better communication about the importance of leaving by a certain time – But I also thought that people were generally nice and not vicious, ignorant and mean at the airport. Strike two for this silly girl.

The Alaskan Airlines staff and even the Tully’s coffee shop lady were SO nice. It was the insanely mean and unhappy man who snapped at me in line. There is a chance he was part bulldog. I merely said, quite politely, “Hey you could sign in, those are open,” gesturing towards the two OPEN monitors that you sign into for your boarding pass. The ones that beckon you with words like: Sign In Here and Open. He leaned in towards me and said, ever so impolitely, “What’s your problem?” To which I replied. “I was just telling you that you could sign in.” “We’ve been here a lot longer than you.” “I see that, I was just pointing it out to be nice because a lot of people don’t know to do that.” What I should have said was. “To properly expedite the process you need to step forward and sign in or I will because my flight is leaving and you are a mean, mean man who is unnecessarily rude.” I then imaged he would try to attack me or start to yell at me and I would have to yell for security saying: THIS MAN IS HARASSING ME! THIS MAN IS HARASSING ME SOMEONE CALL SECURITY!” or, as he swings at me because he is not only part bulldog but mostly Neanderthal, I duck and yell that he is trying to assault me and he is tackled by other waiting passengers and arrested and then misses his flight (which is apparently international). But I figured that would take too long and, not yet knowing I had, that I would definitely miss my flight. I had considered saying, “You know, you don’t have to be such a rude person. It is really unnecessary.” But I did none of the above and he made sure to stand between me and both of the machines in front of me because his pea sized prehistoric brain could not comprehend that being a complete and utter jerk is not necessary, especially at 6:30 a.m. – and that is my morning thus far.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Portland, OR, United States
I am a daughter, sister, friend, wife, counselor and colleague. I am a work in progress. There may be some pieces out of place and things might be messy, but it's okay. I would rather accept that I am still unfinished than think that this is it. You can find my comments on faith and spirituality on my blog: http://themessinessoffaith.blogspot.com/ And my comments and anecdotes on life at: http://sheisaworkinprogress.blogspot.com/

Books That Matter. Well, some of the many that matter.

  • Magical Shrinking: Stumbling Through Bipolar Disorder, Chris Wells
  • Pride & Prejudice, Jane Austen
  • An Abudance of Katherines, John Green
  • Dave Pelzer
  • Franny & Zooey, J.D. Salinger
  • I Was Told There'd Be Cake, Sloane Crosley
  • The Cloister Walk, Kathleen Norris
  • The Developing Mind: How Relationships and the Brain Interact to Shape Who We Are, Daniel J. Siegel
Powered By Blogger